The Great Snail Disco
Question: Can snails they find their way home?
Do they know where they are going?
Snails are fascinating and beautiful creatures but they also drive gardeners crazy in the spring as they munch through seedlings and young vegetables.
Try this investigation in your garden.
Carefully and gently collect snails from different areas of your garden. Show them some respect as they are living creatures. Give each area a colour code and gently paint a small coloured dot using your colour key on the snail's shell.
Left flower bed – green
Pond area – yellow
Next, using tape or string make a grid and place all your coloured snails in the centre.
Leave the snails overnight and the next day see if you can track them down.
Did the snails return home?
What is going on?
How far did your snails travel?
Watch the snail disco clip
Bio Blitz Challenge
What is in a square metre of your garden?
You may think you know exactly what is in your back garden but have you really looked closely?
1. Carefully measure a metre square and make a prediction of how many living things you will find within it.
2. Using books and the internet see if you can identify every living thing you encounter.
3. How many living things did you actually manage to find?
4. Estimate the size of your garden and calculate the estimated number of living things.
5. Why are gardens so important to you and nature?